Monday, March 23, 2009

Looking Out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTHE WINDOW
X
I was standing on the warm side of the glass
last year
as a deer tracked along the fence,
stopping to snatch
a crimson berry
lying beside a jutting root.
x
The cold side of the window
wore its winter mask.
A panorama of shivering trees,
frozen in a blind ritual of icy slumber,
waited for a signal breeze
to bloom the first bud.
x
This year the snow is less stacked.
A filmy blue curtain touches my face
as I lean against the window frame,
again in honey warmth.
x
I watch a squirrel in chilly famine
scrape the barren earth,
not two feet away
from where we buried Harleycat
on August fifteenth.
x
He loved to sit on the sill
in sleepy pleasure,
watch a cardinal swoop
to alight on a low branch of the sycamore,
then leap against the glass
with a craving
to make the red feathers his feast.
x
x
from Two Ghosts/ poems
x
to order:
888-795-4274 ext. 7876
www.xlibris.com
www.amazon.com www.bn.com
www.borders.com
or at bookstores




13 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Your poetry is lovely. I'm off to Amazon...

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you so much..how nice!
Glad this post finally showed up..4 hours after I published it!!
We do what we can...

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Your words are very evocative. I'm glad I'm on the warm side of the glass too!

Kat Mortensen said...

Really nice images, Lyn. I can so identify with the cat and the cardinal. My four are constantly watching the squirrels and birds on the back porch. I see their whiskers twitch and am pleased there's a window between them both.

I love the picture of the Russian Blue.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Derrick-
Thank you..it's always fun to watch what little kitty is up to!

Hi Kat-
My present cat, Milo, is mostly interested in catching snowflakes, through a closed window! When he stretches out, I swear he seems 6 ft.tall!

Deedee said...

Beautiful poem, Lyn. Lovely imagery.

Anonymous said...

Hi Deedee-
Thank you..I could see it as I wrote it!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, you. Beautiful images so clear within my mind.

Anonymous said...

SarahA-
Thank you so much for visiting and your kind words..

Jeane Myers said...

wonderful word picture - a pane of glass is such an interesting portal - two worlds held apart with a thin layer of material and then when it breaks, two worlds colliding! has always fascinated me....

Anonymous said...

Jeane-
What really good insight! Shelter vs.....the world. Thank you.

A Cuban In London said...

'The cold side of the window
wore its winter mask.'

You have an amazing way with words and images. Plus the cute cat on the window. Beautiful poem.

Greetings from London.

Anonymous said...

Greetings- A Cuban...
Thank you, I so appreciate your comment..
I've always been lucky to be able to describe images, perhaps because I've been an artist since I was very little.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin