Thursday, March 12, 2009

Eyes

FOR A LONG TIME I SAW THE WORLD AS A MOSAIC.
NOT IN A POETIC OR POLITICAL WAY, BUT IN AN
EVER DETERIORATING WAY, WHERE OBJECTS
TOOK ON THE SHADE OF OATMEAL, NO BLUES
existed in my spectrum, only greens and yellows,
blending into a fog. Even my green eyes seemed
an odd, shadowy color. Which I just attributed to...
well, I'm getting older, aren't I?
x
I continued to "do" my art, collages still had their
texture and balance, exploration and originality
were never denied. But, aha, I'm also a makeup
artist and I persued that, as usual. I know where
your mouth is, those two orbs are your eyes.
Up close and personal, my style! Everyone
became as gorgeous as could be. From habit.
x
But I was failing. Walking down a long flight
of stairs, someone actually approached me
and asked if they could help me. Startled,
I thanked them and declined, stubborn within
my realization that the moment had come
to get real.
x
I've completed two successful surgeries recently,
and the amazing result immediately was seeing
the color blue again. And the astonishing outlines
around people, they lost their amoebic shape.
Me...I didn't look as soft and flawless anymore.
What's that? Freckles? Lines? My own face, hidden
from me for so long, tucked away in my dream of
myself, revealed at last! So that's what I look like,
and no one's run away ?
x
In the next few weeks, more work to be done, just
to perfect the total reclamation of my vision. I, a
long time embracer of fear and doubt, have released
myself. That eye below, not only can I do it, but
I can be it, if the crazy occasion ever arises!

x
x
x
x

16 comments:

Jeane Myers said...

it comes so slowly that we hardly notice it and finally when we get an inkling, we ignore it and then we are stubborn and then we say, oh, okay, maybe you're right! and then we let go and it is all new again - so hope all goes well in whatever has to be done to make it all new again....

Laura Doyle said...

Vision, and reclaimed vision at that, is indeed something to celebrate! I can't fathom not having blue. Can't even begin. Congratulations! I wonder if the new physical sight will have equally exciting implications that wander over into other less tangible areas of life?

Anonymous said...

Jeane-
It's the stubborn part, and not asking for help..but technology for eye surgery is so amazing these days, that even a coward like me..yes, it will be great!

Starlene-
Blue, who knew??
As far as the less tangible areas, I am always happy to welcome a more positive fate!! Thank you...

Tess Kincaid said...

I love mosaics. I've been saving every broken plate and cup for years for a project I've never started.

Glad you can see clearly now.

Anonymous said...

Willow-
I encourage you to start your mosaic project, after all that saving, you must!
Having clear vision again is a Godsend..thank you.

Cindy said...

I'm glad you can see the color blue again. I know I would miss it.
Funny how things can happen to us so gradually we don't even realize it.
Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Wildeve-
It's so true, change happens so slowly we adjust to it. I was lucky to have the chance I did.
Thanks, and blessings to you.

Deedee said...

It's astounding to realize how much age steals from us, isn't it? I miss my good vision and excellent hearing so much! I guess I always took it for granted. As a former cosmetologist myself, I appreciate the artwork of the painted eye!

Natalie said...

Wow! Good luck, Lyn.
I bet there are heaps of people who would like to be seen in soft focus!
Double chin? What double chin?
That is an amazing thing, glad it is all good for you.xx♥

Anonymous said...

Deedee-
As a makeup artist(Yay) you know that our "tricks" can go only so far!
Oh, boo to aging, what kind of a deal is that for kids like us? I am really grateful though, to all the good possibilities, so, take care of yourself!

Natalie-
It is a shock to have "soft focus" removed. I really had to contend with a different face. Yet I'm going forward for even better eyesight..which may be more important than vanity!!
Thanks for the good wishes...

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Since blue is my favourite colour, I couldn't possibly be without it!

You strike me as having a great deal of wisdom (to know when to accept the help), strength (to get through it) and the joie de vivre to make the most of everything that comes your way! Enjoy!

Dave King said...

I agree with Jeane about the way these things creep up on you. I recently had cataract surgery and was amazed at the difference that it made. Interesting to study Monet's work during the years that his eyes were failing him - and then the way his world changed after surgery. Fascinating post, full of interest. All the best for the future.

Anonymous said...

Hi Derrick-
The thing is , I didn't know that I'd lost blue..I accepted that it was just a wishy-washy green!
I know better now, and thanks so much for the build up..I will remember it when I slip up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave-
Thanks so much for your good wishes.
I had a revelation when I looked at my artwork after the surgery..I did that? Color!
Yes, wonderful about Monet..so much to be gained when we take care..good luck with your new eyesight!

A Cuban In London said...

Well, I do wish you better because it is what gives us 75% of the information we perceive. I loved the image, by the way.

Greetings from London.

Anonymous said...

A Cuban in London-
Thanks for your good wishes...
I've been an "artist" since I was a kid, so I've always "seen" the world!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin