Sunday, April 3, 2011

THE FAIRGROUND/ Poetry Potluck #29


                             Fairground/ Dora Carrington/ 1921


THIS WEEK'S prompt for Poetry Potluck #29 asks us to feature Photographs, Memories, and Nostalgia.  Seems to overlap for me...


THE FAIRGROUND

The barker's pitch
hums across the fairground,
pulls me in.
Just stand there he says, pose
right there in front of the paper tree.

You won't feel the August heat.
Smile for me.

A field of wheat wraps around the park
like flaxen hair,
a painted bunch of pears and peaches
on a backdrop
fools a bee buzzing.

Don't worry
about the children running by.
Smile pretty now.

As I look at the early moonrise
I take an apple from my pocket.
The barker snaps that shot,
gives it to me.

I decided to go on without you.
So long ago, still I remember
a spider underfoot
and I let it run free.


copyright/all rights reserved/ 2011


http://www.minblu.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/lynxny

14 comments:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

A field of wheat wraps around the park
like flaxen hair,
a painted bunch of pears and peaches
on a backdrop
fools a bee buzzing...


you are a real poet, always love your words.

A++

Lyn said...

Hi Jingle-
Thank you so much...that's the best thing you could say!!

Anonymous said...

"You won't feel the August heat, smile for me"

This touched me. It holds a measure of protection/prevenance, caring of some sort, the sentence itself, a nice write.

Enjoy the rally!
http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/for-your-kiss/

Kathe W. said...

I especially love this:
So long ago, still I remember
a spider underfoot
and I let it run free

Olivia said...

One of the best ones of this Potluck indeed!

Lyn, this was a nice look back.. These themes are the ones playing on our minds making us walk through the forgotten land!

A very beautiful read Lyn.. Thank you.. :)

Hugs xoxox

Lyn said...

Hi lynnaima-
Love your name! And thanks..I felt it as a very old memory...

Lyn said...

Hi Kathe W-
Thanks..it's funny where memory takes us..

Unknown said...

Lovely poem, Lyn. Writings about days and events gone by always touch me. I agree with Kathie W about your last stanza.

Lyn said...

Hi Olivia-
What a lovely thing to say! This means so much to me..

JamieDedes said...

Oh, the wheat wraps, the fruit, the bees ... I am there. It's a lovely poem painting and the end, so poignant.

Well done, Lyn. I enjoyed this. And you paired it with it with the perfect illustration. Lovely. A wonderful Monday a.m. first for me.

Have a great week. Enjoy Potluck.

I'll be back for more.

Lyn said...

Hi Jane-
Thank you for the lovely comment..I think so many memories are bitter sweet!

Lyn said...

Hi Jamie-
I like what you said about it being a poem painting..I always have to "see" what I'm writing about!

Anonymous said...

great write elle.. my potluck.. http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/remain/

Lyn said...

Hi fiveloaf-
Thanks for your visit and comment!
Lyn

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin