Sunday, July 18, 2010

MAGPIE/ Prompt #23

                          photo/willow/magpie tales


UNCLE BORIS, WHO WAS GRANDMA LENA'S youngest brother, ran away from home at the age of fourteen and joined the Moscow Circus, first as a sweeper and eventually to become "Fire Eater of the Universe".

He was able to extinguish 55 flaming torches with his mouth in one minute.  "No secret", he said.  No "cold flame", and no substance in his mouth.  Just a very high tolerance to pain.  Even though he "placed himself in an altered state", he still was forever tending to blisters on his lips, tongue and throat. 

He once brought a lawsuit against "The Great Flambino", for libel, when he was accused of lining his mouth with a secret substance that allowed him to endure keeping a lit torch in his mouth for 51 seconds.  Uncle Boris was incensed when the judge dismissed the case after his demonstration, when he tried to "Shoot the Moon", putting out one torch while making the flame jump to another torch. 

Unfortunately the flame jumped to the judges robe and quite a commotion ensued.  A #5 Extinguisher was produced to douse the flames.  It did.  But the case was thrown out.  Uncle Boris left the courtroom shouting that the "King of the Blow Out", didn't need an extinguisher.

Many years later, here in the U.S., I was lucky to have him perform at my Sweet Sixteen party.  Not only did Uncle Boris ignite all the candles at once, but he helped me with my big "Blow Out".


Thanks again to Willow for providing this intriguing magpie prompt..and please do check out the other bloggers responses!

http://www.minblu.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/lynxny

39 comments:

Angie Muresan said...

This was so enjoyable, Lyn, and it rings true. I bet that was a very cool party.

Lyn said...

Hi Angie-
Glad you liked my "story"..Thank you...Fun for me too!

Little Messy Missy said...

Cool story!!!

Lyn said...

Hi Little Messy Missy-
Thank you..Uncle Boris made hot, cool!!

Helen said...

I'm a huge fan of carnivals so I LOVED your fire-eating Uncle Magpie!

RA said...

Such an enjoyable read. A great Magpie!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Oh, this was a romp for sure! I married into a Ukraine family but none so exciting as your Uncle Boris!

Catalyst said...

Very funny, Lyn!

Lyn said...

Hi Helen-
Thank you..it was fun digging up my Uncle Boris!

Lyn said...

Hi RA-
So happy you enjoyed it..I sort of like this kind of stuff!!

Lyn said...

Hi Mary Ann-
Thanks..I come from a Ukrainian/Russian family..and mine wasn't really that exciting either!! ha!!

Lyn said...

Hi Catalyst-
So glad it turned out funny for you!! thanks...

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post - love Uncle Boris!

Lyn said...

Hi madamebutterfly-
Thanks for stopping by...I sort of love Uncle Boris too!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Sounds like a really awesome uncle to have around at parties. How was he arounf fireworks?! Lol! great read, enjoyed this one a ton.

Lyn said...

Hi Patience -
How nice you are! I do wish I had Uncle Boris around to spark things up!!

Brian Miller said...

ha. what fun...would loved to have had a carny in my family...a fire eater/breather especially. delightful magpie!

Lyn said...

Hi Patience-
Have tried to enter comment on your blog..not working for me, but I do admire what you've written.

Lyn said...

Hi Brian-
I keep digging up these fabulous relatives..probably more to come! Thanks...

Stafford Ray said...

Oh Lyn, I suspect you probably didn't mean it to be funny, but I broke up at the first line: 'Uncle Boris, who was Grandma Lena's..." And the court scene! Wonderful. He would have won on appeal if any court had been brave enough to hear it!

Lyn said...

Hi Stafford-
The day has not yet arrived when I don't mean to be "funny" about something..this was a good chance for me..Thank you so much!!

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, what a party that must have been! I can see the court scene - nice writing, for sure!

Carrie Van Horn said...

Truly enjoyed this fun story! The ending is awesome. Uncle Boris, gotta love em! :-)

Lyn said...

Hi Tumblewords-
I so enjoyed writing this..glad you liked it!!

Lyn said...

Hi Carrie-
Thank you...wish he was here, too!!

~T~ said...

What a fun relative to have, a burning branch of the family tree!

Kathe W. said...

very fun story-what an imaginative tale!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

There are days when I still want to run away and join the circus. But I don't think that fire extinguisher is going to fit in my "bandana on a stick!" At least Uncle Boris won't have to worry about stealing his thunder. The fire breathing is all his!

Lyn said...

Hi T-
Thanks..We have to be careful who we ask to light our fire!!

Lyn said...

Hi Kathew-
I do try not to go too far..as long as we have fun..right?

Lyn said...

Hi CatLadyLarew-
But you would be a star whatever your choice!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Let's hear it for Uncle Boris! The best person to have around when raising a toast!

Anonymous said...

Now that must have been some party..great story!

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
Where is Boris when I need him?
Suddenly feel the need of a toast!!
Here's to ya!

Lyn said...

Hi soundoffreedom-
Thank you..yes, they don't make parties like that any more!

Jeane Myers said...

magical as always xxo

A Cuban In London said...

'Uncle Boris was incensed'.

Oh, dear, I'm still writhing on the floor. You have me in stitches. That was such a masterful stroke.

Fab post, just great. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Lyn said...

Hi Jeane-
Thanks so much..magic..like in make-believe!!!

Lyn said...

Greetings to a Cuban-
Thank you..just the reaction I hoped for! Imagine having relatives such as mine...hmmm....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin