Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Plan

ST. TERESA BENEDICTA of the CROSS (EDITH STEIN) 1891-1942
X
I WAS MILDLY SURPRISED TODAY WHEN I CAME ACROSS AN ARTICLE that seemed to connect up with my previous post. When coincidence presents itself, I appreciate how the world seems to flow. It wants me to pay attention. I don't know anything for certain, so I'm always pleased when all I have to do is follow the trail.
x
My last post discussed the bravery of a woman, an artist, whose great courage saved her from extermination in Auschwitz. This morning I learned about a woman, Edith Stein, who became a Carmelite nun and experienced a different fate entirely.
x
Edith Stein was born into a prominent Jewish family in Breslau, Germany, (now Wroclau, Poland). She was a brilliant young girl, philosophical in outlook, and abandoned her faith at the age of 14. She became captivated by the autobiography of Teresa of Avila, and began her spiritual journey, which led to her Baptism in 1922. Twelve years later she took the name of Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, becoming a Carmelite, as her namesake had. Her appointment as lecturer at the Educational Institute of Munich ended under pressure of the Nazis. She lived in Cologne as a Carmelite (1934-1938), then moved to the Carmelite monastery in Echt, Netherlands.
x
The Nazis occupied that country in 1940. Dutch bishops denounced the Nazis, who arrested all Dutch Jews who had become Christians. Teresa Benedicta and her sister Rosa, also a Catholic, died in a gas chamber in Auschwitz on August 9, 1942.
x
Pope John Paul II beatified Teresa Benedicta in 1987 and canonized her in 1998. The artist, Dina Babbitt, also a prisoner at Auschwitz, survived after making a deal in her favor with the Nazis. You can read about her exploits in the previous post, "Survivor".
x
Edith Stein...St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, said," Whatever did not fit in with my plan, did lie within the plan of God.."


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXEDITH STEIN



19 comments:

Marty said...

I have long admired St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross and still consider her a light and patron in my life.

I traveled to Rome for the beautification of Edith Stein back in 1998, that experience and celebration of her sacrifice and sanctity remains forever in my heart.

Lyn said...

Hi Marty-
I am so pleased that you've visited, and feel that you are coming from a privileged position..
Thank you for sharing this great experience!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Two very moving posts, Lyn.

Anonymous said...

We certainly don't know the plans God has in store for us. I ponder my life and often think, events work out in unexpected ways, arriving at the destination I hadn't thought of, but in my best interests. The wonder of taking a blind leap and trusting in a higher order.

Tess Kincaid said...

Wow. I am touched by Marty's experience.

Lovely ending quote.

Lyn said...

Hi Raph-
Thank you for your comment ..

Lyn said...

Studio Sylvia-
Thank you..sometimes a leap of faith is the only thing that makes sense..I just hope there's a net to catch me!!

Lyn said...

Hi Willow-
Yes, that is quite something, isn't it..the rewards of blogging!
The quote is such pure faith...

alaine@éclectique said...

The dear woman; glad that she was honored for her work.

Jeane Myers said...

wow Lyn, another very wonderful story :)

Lyn said...

Hi Alaine-
Honored! And a Saint..what a spirit she had!

Dear Jeane-
Thank you so much for being so supportive! Both these women are inspirations!!

Roan said...

Loved reading this moving and inspirational post. Makes one think.

Unknown said...

You said it Lyn, the rewards of blogging and immense discovery.

Lyn said...

Hi BJ-
Exactly..the world has countless people we can look up to..

Lyn said...

Hi Gaston-
Just when I can't think anything to write about, along comes something that really wakes me up!!
Thank you...

A Cuban In London said...

I love it when coincidences like that happen. It makes you think what was on your mind when you wrote the previous post.

Although I am less and less in front of my computer and counting the days until we leave for Spain, I never miss out on a good post like this. Or a good baseball game like the series against the Red Sox weekend gone. Another massacre! And this time in New York! I can't believe it! C'mon, Bombers, go!

Greetings from London.

Lyn said...

Greetings to a Cuban-
I find it to be very reassuring when these coincidences occur!
And you, a Yankee fan..fab..yes quite a sweep! This morn I wore my pink NY Yankee cap(for real)when I went out for my run..by the way, I'm from da Bronx!! Thank you so much for your kind words...

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

It takes tremendous faith to follow the path that St. Teresa took. I am always slightly envious of those who have such certainty.

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
I totally agree with you..my "certainty" sort of wavers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin