Saturday, May 29, 2010

SHERLOCK...

                             Watson, Holmes, Adler

Here's a bad movie.  Like, in don't see it.  And if you have, and you liked it, so be it, we can still be friends.

Boys will be boys, and Guy Ritchie, the director, likes to dig into their fantasies.  So he put together something identified as "Sherlock Holmes", for the cool set.  Boys of about 11 to 16, add a couple of dozen years or so.  Watched it on Netflix.  Was on the "long wait" list for a very long wait.

I get fooled by hype.  Still.  How bad can just one more Sherlock Holmes movie be?  Especially one starring Robert Downey, Jr. as Holmes, and Jude Law as Watson.  Hee, hee.  Very.  Because first of all, this one seems to be based on a lost manuscript by Dan Brown, which I'll just call, "Demons and Holmes".  The one that never got published, but it's obvious who and what inspired this script.  I think that Brown should get a token of appreciation, if not a kick-back.

Next, lets examine performance.  Downey seems too pleased finding himself cast as Holmes.  It's as if he's really playing House, playing Holmes.  Which, sucker that I am, would probably pay to see.  Hugh Laurie, as House as Holmes.  And just an aside..Downey's aging rather quickly, something's catching up to him!  I think he's talented, but his elocution got lost in the sauce in this one.  All over the English map, and next time, sub-titles, please.

And of course Holmes falls for Jude Law.  The movie tries to deny it.  Law is sort of almost like a person as Watson.  Lots of fisticuffs and special effects divert them, and it's just right for the teenagers watching.  Me, I'm hopeless, always looking for a plot!!  Maybe in the sequel. 

Villain comes back from the dead, too much eyeliner, thought this was more Drac trash.  Irene Adler is a saucy dish...she'll have to return..but will Holmes really care?  On the plus side..really gorgeous to look at, set design,  extravagant London.  Just turn off the sound, watch the action for a while, take a nap. 

12 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Sounds like Downey was a little over acting. Too bad, too, because this could have been a great movie. Thanks for the warning. I won't waste my time. Speaking of over acting, you know, as much as I love Meryl Streep, I thought she was a bit over the top, hamming it up in "Doubt". Did you see it?

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Thank you...we suspected it was bad but we were going to go ahead and put it in the queue for many of your reasons. Took it off the queue and feel released from two hours of just remarkable scenery and costumes.We can still be friends?! ha

Lyn said...

Hi Willow-
The problem is who this movie is meant for..not elegant ladies like us...hee hee..
I know what you mean about Streep..that's when you can see the acting..but she does hypnotize me..thanks..

Lyn said...

Hi Mary Ann-
Sometimes I do give good advice..no matter what they say!! Friends, indeed!!

Sheri said...

dang! i really thought it might be worth watching since downey was starring...i think i've got a crush on him but don't tell mark harmon, he'd be devestated ;) thank you so much for the review!

Lyn said...

Hi sheri-
Well, there, I think I rescued you..
as far as Downey, my son and he used to be friends, same business..some great stories but I'd need clearance to tell them!!Stay with Mark...

Snooty Primadona said...

Thanks for the warning. Being a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, I was thinking it could maybe turn out to be better.

Remember when they re-did Sabrina? It turned out to be another classic.

I hate to say this but Robert Downey has just never been the same since that last rehab. And he used to be such a great actor. I* think a major part of it is the director though. A bad or inexperienced director can kill even the best story line...

Lyn said...

Hi Snooty...
Glad to be of assistance..I agree with you..
The director, Ritchie, does one kind of movie..a super macho, but Sherlock??

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Well, there wasn't much chance of me seeing this until it appears on TV, by which time it won't really matter. Would I dare enjoy it now?! I could fit into that age range, give or take a dozen years or so!

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
You could be the right age for this...you never know!!
Do you remember Jeremy Brett as Holmes? Weird but great!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

We still get reruns of Brett's Holmes on ITV3 regularly! His resemblance to Basil Rathbone is probably what gave him the edge!

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
We too get the reruns every week!! on PBS...You're right about the Rathbone resemblance..talk about cool...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin