Wednesday, April 1, 2009

And the winner is...

XXXXXXXXXXXXX SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
X
X
Having placed my name on the Netflix list ages ago
for "Slumdog Millionaire", I was more than surprised
and pleased to receive it on the first day of issue.
Lucky me! I say this because this is one of the most
entertaining, thrilling, brilliantly acted and directed,
( by Danny Boyle), movies I've ever seen. In fact I
did something I've never done before, and that was,
I immediately replayed the film. I just couldn't
leave it.
x
The story, familiar by now, is how a boy from the
treacherous slums of Mumbai, managed to escape his
own tragedies time after time. The film shows how
his past directs him to "find" the correct answers.
The way the movie is cut, and edited, the way time
is interwoven as a stream of consciousness, is a brilliant
choice on the director part.
x
Wonderful acting all around, by the youngest, brought
out of a real life environment of squalor, to the
actors, Dev Patel as Jamal, the hero of this epic, and
the transcendantly beautiful Frieda Pinto as the elusive
love, Latika. Wonderful Bollywood star, Anil Kapoor as
the MC of the quiz show, and the great Irrfan Khan as a
detective.
x
Larger than life, all absolutely human. Gratitude to all
who said, "Let's make a movie"!


10 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I need to see this movie! Adding it to my queue immediately. Great review. :^)

Lyn said...

Willow-
Thank you..definitely yes!..I need to move to Bollywood...

Butternut Squash said...

I really enjoyed the movie. There is much truth there, but I am always a little suspicious of the portrayal of pure evil. My experience of Hindus can not make sense of the unprovoked slaughter of innocent Muslims. Then again, the holocaust and destruction of Tibet makes very little sense to me. I guess that I would like a documentary rather than a partial fiction for such a poignant piece.

I have some questions about hot hands. We should try to get a singing bowl into those hot hands and see what happens. Peace.

Lyn said...

Hi Butternut..
It seems impossible to make sense of pure evil..as said of the holocaust, all that's needed is for good people to look the other way.
Hot hands..just very high energy that heals!
I get a catalogue that features singing bowls! maybe....

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

You make the film so interesting! The award winners are not always the best films - but then we all see things differently and this one does seem different!

Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
Yes, there's always room for difference. You're right about award winners..
I do tend to like films about India and highly recommend
"Water", in a class by itself.

muriel may campbell said...

Just stopped by to say hi after reading your comment on Ashes rising.
I am new at blogging as I am recovering from a spinal cord injury and stuck in a chair.
I love your Blog title. I had no idea the internet was such a good place to write.
We saw Slum Dog when it came out, over Christmas, in Cambridge Ma. I found it hard to take when the acid came out, not a fan of violent films but this picture was well worth the effort.

Lyn said...

em
Thank you so much for stopping by..certainly wish the best for you, and really just be your strongest self.
I've been blogging since Dec..good for expanding, discovering me, you!
The movie was brutal..won't see violence for its own sake, but this one was transcendant..for me!!

? said...

I guess Butternut and everyone else may have said it all. I loved the preview although not my kind of genre. Nevertheless your review has caused me to follow in the steps of Willow in adding it to my queue. Thanks for the teaser.

Lyn said...

Rising-
Thanks...This movie is so much about mankind..violence, this is what we do..but we also have a glorious nature..that's what we do, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin